Monday, July 31, 2006

The grass has grown...

Left: A shopper at the new Wakefield Shaw's.

Today, the Wakefield Observer's top story was...the opening of Shaw's. From their article:

Wakefield’s first large supermarket opened last Friday, to a certain amount of fanfare.

The long-talked about Shaw’s supermarket held its grand opening at 134 Water St., with local officials and customers invited to the 9 a.m. event.

Town Administrator Tom Butler, most of the Board of Selectmen and other town officials were on hand, along with Shaw’s executives for, the grand opening.

Plenty of eager shoppers from Wakefield and surrounding communities checked out the 54,436 square-foot supermarket and did some shopping last weekend.

The question is, why did the Observer wait so long to report on the Shaw's grand opening? So their report would coincide with mine, of course! I like to dream. Sue me.

That Friday morning, I walked to Shaw's. As I passed by the big sign at the car wash, it said it was 6:50, and 70 degrees. There was some rain on my glasses.

I've witnessed firsthand the construction of the building. I remember one time when Chris Morrill was giving me a ride, and we passed by the building. He commented, "Once the grass grows, Shaw's is open."

Friday morning. For the first time, I see grown grass at Shaw's.

A few details show that this is the first day of business. As I walk inside, where people are already shopping, an employee sets up a camera for archiving this event. Others give me pamphlets, upon whose covers are printed the words, "Grand Opening." Employees stand talking in the produce aisle. The fried chicken stand has yet to open. An employee insists that "everything will be up and running in the afternoon."

As I leave the store, I receive a pleasant surprise: a free loaf of bread. So THIS is the free stuff my mom said they give away at grand openings.

I decided to test the Shaw's workers and return that afternoon. The parking lot is full of cars. The fried chicken stand is open, as is the pharmacy. I see many of my classmates at work, confirming what I'd heard during a discussion on jobs for teens: "Everyone applied to Shaw's."

Oddly enough, Thursday's top story was on Bronwyn DellaVolpe's opposition to the store. She and her neighbors are boycotting the store. I remember the anti-Shaw's picket signs that were once displayed around town.

Is Shaw's a blessing or a menace? That's up to you to decide. But like it or not, the grass has finally grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valued greatly. Please adhere to the decorum on the "First time here?" page. Comments that are in violation of any of the rules will be deleted without notice.

3/11 Update - No Moderation

*Non-anonymous commenting is preferred to avoid mix-ups. Anonymous comments are, at the behest of management, more likely to be deleted than non-anonymous comments.