Monday, July 7, 2008

50 Best Lines and Then Ten More!

These are, imo, the greatest lines, music has to offer. It should be noted that no artist appears more than once, like most of my lists. Well, here they are, in no particular order, except the first:

1)The Who- "Hope I die before I get old," from "My Generation"

2)RATM- "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!" from "Killing in the Name"

3)Against Me!- "'Cause baby, I'm an anarchist, you're a spineless liberal.We marched together for the eight-hour day and held hands in the streets of Seattle, but when it came time to throw bricks through that Starbucks window,you left me all alone," from "Baby, I'm An Anarchist"

4)Public Enemy- "Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me, you see straight up racist, that sucker was simple and plain, mother fuck him and John Wayne," from "Fight the Power"

5)Dennis Leary- "Sometimes I park in handicap spaces, while handicap people make handicap faces!" from "Asshole"

6)Big Black- "I think I fucked your girlfriend once. Maybe twice, I don't remember.
Then I fucked all your friend's girlfriends. Now they hate you," from "Bad Penny"

7)N.W.A.- "When you say 'hi' she won't say 'hi.' Are you the kind that think you're too damn fly? Bitch eat shit 'n die," from "A Bitch Iz A Bitch"

8)Bob Dylan- "Don't criticize what you can't understand," from "The Times They Are A Changin'"

9)Bob Marley- "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; none but ourselves can free our minds. Have no fear for atomic energy, cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets, while we stand aside and look?" from "Redemption Song"

10)The Clash- "But I believe in this-and its been tested by research; that he who fucks nun will later join the church," from "Death or Glory"

11)Country Joe and the Fish- "And you know that peace can only be won when we've blown 'em all to kingdom come," from "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag"

12)Cypress Hill- "Didn't have to blast him but I did anyway, that young punk had to pay, so I just killed a man," from "How I Could Just Kill A Man"

13)Daniel Johnston- "He was smiling through his own personal hell dropped his last dime down a wishing well but he was hopping too close and then he fell, now he’s Casper the friendly ghost," from "Casper the Friendly Ghost"

14)David Alan Coe- "She's alone in the corner with her panties to her knees, lookin' in the mirror, she gives her tits a squeeze" from "Masterbation Blues"

15)Dead Kennedys- "Is my cock big enough? Is my brain small enough? for you to make me a star," from "Pull My Strings"

16)Descendents- "You arrogant asshole your pants are too tight, you fucking homo
you suck, Mr. Buttfuck. You don't belong here, go away you fucking gay. I'm not a loser!" from "I'm Not A Loser"

17)Frank Zappa- "I'm not black, but there's a whole lots a times I wish I could say I'm not white," from "Trouble Every Day"

18)Fugazi- "We will not be beaten down!" from "KYEO"

19)Glassjaw- "It's ladies night at the bar, but she smokes a man's cigar. I guess she's dying. Oh well. pfft. I don't give a fuck about your dignity. That's the bastard in me," from "Lovebites and Razorlines"

20)Grateful Dead- "What a long, strange trip it's been," from "Truckin'"

21)Immortal Technique- "Crying out to the sky cause he was lonely and scared
but only the devil responded, cause god wasn't there," from "Dance With the Devil"

22)John Lennon- "Imagine there's no countries. It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too. Imagine all the people living life in peace," from "Imagine"

23)Johnny Cash- "I shot a man in Reno; just to watch him die," from "Folsom Prison Blues"

24)Kiss= "I want to rock and roll all night and party every day!" from "Rock and Roll All Nite (live)"

25)Lou Reed- "You make me forget myself I thought I was someone else someone good," from "Perfect Day"

26)Louis Armstrong- "I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do, they're really saying, I love you," from "What A Wonderful World"

27)Marvin Gaye- "There's nothin' wrong with me loving you baby, no, no and giving yourself to me can never be wrong if the love is true," from "Let's Get It On"

28)MC5- "Kick out the jams Motherfuckers!!!" from "Kick Out the Jams"

29)meWithoutYou- "The books are overdue; the goats are underfed; the trap I've left for you, seems to have caught my leg instead," from "In a Sweater Poorly Knit"

30)Minor Threat- "I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't fuck, out of step with the world," from "Out of Step"

31)Minutemen- "Our band could be your life," from "History Lesson Part II"

32)The Misfits- "Collect the heads of little girls and put em on my wall, hack the heads off little girls and put em on my wall," from "Skulls"

33)Mudhoney- "I'm a creep, yeah, I'm a jerk.Come on, touch me, I'm sick... wow
I won't live long, and I'm full of rot, gonna give you - girl - everything I got. Touch me, I'm sick," from "Touch Me I'm Sick"

34)New Order- "Oh, you've got green eyes. Oh, you've got blue eyes. Oh, you've got gray eyes and I've never seen anyone quite like you before. No, I've never met anyone quite like you before," from "Temptation"

35)The Nightwatchman- "It started in basements and it started in sheds, it started in backyards and was hidden under beds," from "California's Dark"

36)Nine Inch Nails- "You could have it all; my empire of dirt;I will let you down
I will make you hurt," from "Hurt"

37)Nirvana- "Teenage lament has payed off well, but now I'm old and bored," from "Serve the Servants"

38)Page France- "And we will become a happy ending. We will rejoice. Hallelujah
We Will rejoice," from "Feather"

39)Patsy Cline- "You tell me to find someone else to love, someone who'll love me too, the way you used to do, but each time I go out with someone new, you walk by and I fall to pieces," from "I Fall to Pieces"

40) Billie Holiday- "Pastoral scene of the gallant south, the bulging eyes and the twisted mouth, scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh, then the sudden smell of burning flesh, " from "Strange Fruit"

41)Paul McCartney- "Hands across the water, hands across the sky!" from "Uncle Albert"

42)Fatlip- "I make myself sick, get on my own nerves, immature, insecure,
grown up nerd," from "What's Up Fatlip?"

43)The Pharcyde- "I got a funny feeling like something was real wrong,looked at her shoes and her feet was real long, then it hit me. Oh please God no. Don't let this ho turn out to be a john doe. He pulled a fast one on me yo. I guess thats one of those things that make you go: shit!" from "Oh Shit!"

44)Phil Ochs- "It's always the old that lead us to the wars, it's always the young who fall," from "I Ain't Marchin' Anymore"

45)Pink Floyd- "There's someone in my head, but it's not me," from "Brain Damage"

46)Pixies- "Where is my mind? Way out in the water, see it swimmin'," from "Where is My Mind"

47)Radiohead- "A heart that's full up like a landfill, a job that slowly kills you,
bruises that won't heal. You look so tired-unhappy, bring down the government,
they don't, they don't speak for us. I'll take a quiet life,a handshake of carbon monoxide,with no alarms and no surprises," from "No Surprises"

48)The Ramones- "Chewing out a rhythm on my bubble gum,the sun is out and I want some. Its not hard, not far to reach, we can hitch a ride to rockaway beach.
Up on the roof, out on the street, down in the playground on the hot concrete.
Bus ride is too slow, they blast out the disco on the radio. Rock rock rockaway beach," from "Rockaway Beach"

49)The Replacements- "Everything goes, well, anything goes all of the time. Everything you dream of is right in front of you and everything is a lie," from "Unsatisfied"

50)The Voidoids- "I was sayin' let me out of here before I was even born--it's such a gamble when you get a face," from "Blank Generation"

51)Sam Cooke- "I was born by the river, in a little tent. Oh and just like the river, I've been running ever since. It's been a long, long time coming, but I know a change gonna come," from "A Change is Going to Come"

52)Simon and Garfunkel- "Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping.I'm empty and aching and I don't know why. Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all gone to look for America. All gone to look for America," from "America"

53)The Smashing Pumpkins- "Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage!" from "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"

54)The Smiths- "Shoplifters of the world unite and take over," from "Shoplifters of the World Unite"

55)Sonic Youth- "I'm down in the daytime out of sight. Comin' in from dreamland I'm on fire. I can see it's all been here before, dream a dream that lies right at your door," from "Mote"

56)SOAD- "Why must we kill our own kind?" from "Boom"

57)Talking Heads- "If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower!" from "(Nothing But) Flowers"

58)Black Lips- "All they are, are bad kids, products of no dad kids, kids like you and me," from "Bad Kids"

59)Tool- "Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines," from "Ænema"

60)The Velvet Underground- "Then thank God that I'm as good as dead. Then thank your God that I'm not aware and thank God that I just don't care and I guess I just don't know and I guess I just don't know

Wow, those were hard to pick. But shit, I forgot the Beatles! I don't know how I could've made such a silly mistake. There are countless, amazing Beatles lyrics. This one sums up their message: "And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make," from "The End" And Chris Farley agrees with me!

2 comments:

Your comments are valued greatly. Please adhere to the decorum on the "First time here?" page. Comments that are in violation of any of the rules will be deleted without notice.

3/11 Update - No Moderation

*Non-anonymous commenting is preferred to avoid mix-ups. Anonymous comments are, at the behest of management, more likely to be deleted than non-anonymous comments.