Sunday, January 20, 2008

Concert Review: Editors/Louis XIV/Hot Hot Heat

Venue: Orpheum Theatre, Boston

Act One: Louis XIV


Glen: Louis XIV (14), a garage band from San Diego, performed first. The band created a bunch of energy and they truly put on a great performance. Innuendo-laden songs such as videogame classic "Finding Out True Love is Blind" and "Me Me Me Me" entranced the already buoyant crowd.

Chris
: Louis XIV put on a good show; they rocked out. I was impressed. Their witty, double entendre spiked humor, in a way reminded me of the Arctic Monkeys. Last night was actually the first time I had ever heard of them... so it will be interesting for me to see how they compare on record. Lastly, I'd advise any self-proclaimed music connoisseurs to check out "chocolate girl" ("Finding Out True Love is Blind")

Act Two: Hot Hot Heat

Glen: Like Louis XIV, Hot Hot Heat was very energetic. A bit more popular sounding than Louis XIV, the crowd was singing and dancing along with almost every Heat song. At one point, Steve Bays, the lead singer, got on top of some object on stage, peered out at the audience and instructed somebody with their hands in their pockets to move to the front. It looked as if he was talking to me, but multiple people in my area had hands in their pockets. Some songs that were especially good included "No, Not Now" and "Talk To Me Dance With Me."

Chris: I can't say I'm a huge fan of the band and I think their performance was my least favorite of the evening, but with that said, they still sounded solid. It was an energetic, pop fueled set. And though all 3 bands have danceable qualities in their music, it was HHH that got the most gals movin'.

Act Three: Editors


Glen: I didn't go to the concert to the see Louis XIV or Hot Hot Heat, but I went to go to see Editors. Editors literally gave to the audience everything one looks for in a show. The opening song played "Bones" was the start to a streak of greatness. The light show in the background was top notch and each light went perfectly with the song. I can't say that there were any songs that were less than excellent. Guitar heavy tracks such as "Bullets" and "Blood" paved the way for the ultimate song: "Munich". If everyone in the audience only recognized one song, that song was "Munich." That was the last song of the set, but Editors came back on stage and performed two extraordinary tracks: piano/synth combo "Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors" and finally "Fingers in the Factories"

Chris:
Certainly, the greatest of all three bands ( live and on record). This was the band I went to see, and I truly believe they were one of the best (if not the best) bands I ever seen live. Their music was very evocative and very British. I think the band's crossover success, can be greatly owed to their keen sense of pop songwriting. The band's eclectic sound hawks back to the Post-Punk of Joy Division and The Cure. There's no doubt in my mind that this band will be huge within the next few years. They are a great example of how a band can achieve such tremendous success, yet still be attached to independent label and not have to sacrifice their integrity.

Closing Thoughts

Glen: Best concert that I've been to... ever. Louis XIV and Editors were amazing and Hot Hot Heat put on a good performance as well.

Chris: It should also be noted that the lights were spectacular and would freak out one tripping on acid. All in All: 9 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valued greatly. Please adhere to the decorum on the "First time here?" page. Comments that are in violation of any of the rules will be deleted without notice.

3/11 Update - No Moderation

*Non-anonymous commenting is preferred to avoid mix-ups. Anonymous comments are, at the behest of management, more likely to be deleted than non-anonymous comments.