Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Classic Dialogue

When I was independently reading this passage from All The Pretty Horses, I didn't realize how awesome it really was. Once Mr. Brennan read it, I did. Here it is (Page 26-27)

- Rawlins propped the heel of one boot atop the toe of the other. As if to pace off the heavens. My daddy run off from home when he was fifteen. Otherwise I'd of been born in Alabama.
- You wouldn't be born at all.
- What makes you say that?
- Cause your mama's from San Angelo and he never would of met her.
- He'd of met somebody.
- So would she.
- So?
- So you wouldnt of been born.
- I don't see why you say that. I'd of been born somewheres.
- How?
- Well why not?
- If your mama had a baby with her other husband and your daddy had one with his other wife which one would you be?
- I wouldnt be neither of em.
- That's right.
- Rawlins lay watching the stars. After a while he said: I could still be born. I might look different or somethin. If God wanted me to be born I'd be born.
- And if He didnt you wouldnt
- You're making my goddamn head hurt.

1 comment:

Your comments are valued greatly. Please adhere to the decorum on the "First time here?" page. Comments that are in violation of any of the rules will be deleted without notice.

3/11 Update - No Moderation

*Non-anonymous commenting is preferred to avoid mix-ups. Anonymous comments are, at the behest of management, more likely to be deleted than non-anonymous comments.