Friday, May 16, 2008

Wolf Parade "At Mount Zoomer" CD Review

I've only heard semi-choppy live versions of each song on "At Mount Zoomer". The album doesn't hit shelves until next month, but here is a month early review anyway.

1. Soldier's Grin - Like many Wolf Parade songs, this one has a spooky ere to it backed by intense drums and a catchy guitar. The last minute of the song is really amazing. 8.5 out of 10

2. Call It A Ritual - I won't "call it a ritual" to listen to this song over and over again. The sound really doesn't do anything for me. Is it the piano that I am not digging? Could be. 7.0 out of 10

3. Language City - Now we are talking. I like the ADHD-esque tempo. The song transcends the "garage" genre by definitely giving it a whole new meaning. 9.0 out of 10

4. Bang Your Drum - It's not on YouTube anywhere. Oh, no!

5. California Dreamer - The song starts out pretty suck. Slowly, but surely the beat picks up and you instantly realize that this is a great song. A very solid combination of piano "jam" and guitar. The live version is so amazing that I don't think that the recorded version will do justice once it is released. 9.5 out of 10

6. The Grey Estates - See Song #4

7. Fine Young Cannibals - First, I've heard great things about this song, but upon listening to it for the first time all I can definitely say is that it is different. It takes about four minutes for the song to get good and by good I mean pick up speed. Is this song "great"? Not really, no. 8.5 out of 10

8. An Animal In Your Care - I read a review saying that the first half of this song is boring. That may be true with "Fine Young Cannibals", but I kind of like the start to this song. It isn't incredibly boring, but rather deep and near-psychedelic sounding. Before you know it, you hear an intense instrumental combo of guitar, piano, and drums that absolutely is mind-blowing. This is a perfect second to last track. 9.0 out of 10

9. Kissing The Beehive - The name of this track was originally going to be the name of their album, but some copyright shit screwed that up. For what it is worth, this song is a great album closer. It is just shy of 11 minutes long, but trust me you will never get bored with this one. It can be accurately described as a grand combination of everything that makes this album great. I am a sucker for post-punk influenced tracks and this certainly seems to be one of them. 9.5 out of 10

Overall Grade: 8.7. Once I listen to the two songs that I haven't heard, I will change the grade.

2 comments:

Your comments are valued greatly. Please adhere to the decorum on the "First time here?" page. Comments that are in violation of any of the rules will be deleted without notice.

3/11 Update - No Moderation

*Non-anonymous commenting is preferred to avoid mix-ups. Anonymous comments are, at the behest of management, more likely to be deleted than non-anonymous comments.