TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran on Monday dismissed any prospect of new talks with the
United States on Iraq, accusing U.S.-led forces on Monday of a "massacre" of the
The two foes last year held three rounds of ground-breaking
discussions in Baghdad, easing a diplomatic freeze of almost three decades, but
Iraqi officials have expressed frustration that a fourth round has failed to get
off the ground.
Iraq says it does not want its soil to become a battleground
for a proxy war between the United States and Iran, which are also at
loggerheads over Iran's disputed nuclear program.
If I may interrupt, if the war in Iraq was a proxy war, that would mean that Iran, not Iraq, is a threat to America, right? Kind of like it was five years ago?"
Right now, what we observe in Iraq is a massacre of the Iraqi nation by the occupying forces," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini told a news conference.
"Concerning this situation, talks with America will have no results and will be meaningless."