Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Picking the President: Conclusion

I've looked at the two major parties' candidates since January 9 of this year. I've read the Wikipedia pages of the third party and independent candidates. Thursday is my last day on this site. I really ought to be...

Without giving them their own posts, I'll say that - had they been included in the competition - I would have given several points to some of the aforementioned third/no party candidates. Libertarian Bob Barr and Green Cynthia McKinney are two oft-overlooked candidates to whom I'd give nine and eight points, respectively.
But it's time to stop stalling and officially announce whom I'll vote for. That's the decision I've been trying to make since January 9. After more than a half-year of analyzing ideologies, making charts, making fun of Glen and starting arguments, I've decided to vote for Barack Obama.
I hope that anyone who'll be 18 by Election Day will go to the polls and make their voices heard. Some people think you're a sinner if you disagree with them and vote for someone else. I say the ultimate sin is apathy, not taking advantage of a system where everybody has a say.
I've already told you whom I'm voting for and why. I hope that this series of posts has provided you with enough facts to help you decide. Do your reading, then vote for the person you believe in.

2 comments:

  1. 9 points? Barr deserves infinite points. Bob Barr '08.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah. I knew you were voting for Obama Ben. I could tell from the inception of these posts. But, I'm glad you took the time ( over 7 months!) to make your choice. Personally, I don't think the people's voices are heard, just by the fact that the two main candidates do no represent the peoples greatest concerns, or at least as well as they should. I hate when people say 3rd/Independent party candidates are worthless. That's a myth! Ventura became Governor of Minnesota on the Reform ticket. The media ought to portray all of the worthy candidates' platforms. Then, the people can fairly decide who they want to elect as their leader.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are valued greatly. Please adhere to the decorum on the "First time here?" page. Comments that are in violation of any of the rules will be deleted without notice.

3/11 Update - No Moderation

*Non-anonymous commenting is preferred to avoid mix-ups. Anonymous comments are, at the behest of management, more likely to be deleted than non-anonymous comments.