What is sXe?
- sXe stands for straight-edge. Straight-edge refers to a group of people who are in favor of self control and who very much discourage drug and alcohol use and promiscuous sexual behavior.
When did the sXe movement start?
- Minor threat front man Ian Mackaye is said to have coined the name in 1981.
Is sXe political?
- Not inherently, although many straight-edgers support political causes that line up with their sXe beliefs (drug illegalization, to name one)
What kind of drugs are sXe no-nos?
- Basically all of them. Alcohol as I said before is not allowed. Illegal drugs like marijuana and heroin (to name a few) are also discouraged. Some straight-edgers don't even take medication like Aspirin. Caffeine, a drug found in soft drinks, is prohibited by some straight-edgers.
Is sXe a religious philosophy?
- Nope, although many major religions are against the use of drugs and are against pre-marital sex. In that way, religious beliefs may be the same as sXe beliefs.
Once edge always edge?
- Not at all. If you fuck up, you can always go to being edge.
How do I sign up?
- You don't sign up per se. All you need to do is stop drinking, smoking and having sex.
Are people who live on the edge rebellious?
- Yes, that is the nature of punk music. As one kid said:
"The difference between us and nerds is that we [abstain from drugs] as
a way of rebelling against society, not because society tells us not
Are you straight edge?
- Since you asked, I would say that yes, I am. Some argue that you have to dress punk and be wholly
associated with the punk movement. I would argue that you don't need to. I think that sXe is at its
most basic level a philosophy. You can either adhere to it or you don't.
One last thing I would like to add is that our society believes that underage drinking and promiscuity
are acceptable. By adhering to sXe philosophy, you are rebelling against these social norms.
Monday, December 24, 2007
What is sXe?