- Increases concentration.
- People often go with the general sentiment on things like these, most of what you hear is hogwash. Cases of cancer are linked with smoking, but it's not proof. Only 1 in 3 of us will get lung cancer. (By "us" I also include non smokers).
- Smokers are a persecuted lot, since this habit has been banned from workplaces, restaurants, buses, subways and planes. You don't think they'd outlaw breathing for Christ's sake.
- Smokers have the only real community that's left in the workplace today.
- Smokers suffer from less stress, since they actually take a few breaks per day.
- That brouhaha about second hand smoking is a load of crap. It's just a phrase made up to get normal people who earlier didn't care about it, to go and further persecute the smokers.
- It's cool to smoke. Ever seen a hacker or a real artist with a health shake?
- Smokers support the economy by paying all those taxes, which *AHEM* some of us don't.
- The Surgeon General fails to warn you that non-smokers die every day
- Studies have shown that prolonged contact (as in several years) with second hand smoking can cause mild lung problems. Second hand smoke has no immediate harmful effects.
- Actually, why not just ban non-smokers? :D
- Too much is made of the 4000 chemicals that make up a cigarette. Several carcinogens found in cigarettes are found in peppers, carrots, strawberries, tomatoes, onions and grapefruit.
- Believe it or not, nicotine is actually "a surprisingly potent drug for a variety of diseases that afflict the brain, including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Tourette’s syndrome." (An image makeover for nicotine: It shows promise against brain diseases, HealthCentral.com - Feb. 21, 2000) Smokers have a 60% lower risk of Parkinson's disease.
- Nicotine has a positive effect on ulcerative colitis, which is an inflammation of the stomach lining, and this disorder affects nonsmokers more than smokers.
- Smokers actually recovered better from a heart attack than nonsmokers.
- Smoking was found to reduce the risk of estrogen-dependent endometrial cancer (dunno what that means, it just sounds really cool).
- Schizophrenics (4 million Americans) who smoke can get enough nicotine stimulation to switch on a brain receptor that helps filter information.
- Stanford researchers have discovered that low doses of nicotine - a major component of cigarette smoke - appear to promote new blood vessel growth (in mice). (“Nicotine to be used to treat heart disease,” Reuters Health, healthcentral.com - Sept. 2000)
- Alcohol is even more harmful than smoking. Yet not much is said against it as compared to smoking. Half a bottle of wine can supply you with 32-40 times the amount of lead a whole pack of smokes can give you. "
- Sick smokers may burden a country's health care system but dead smokers save governments money"
Don't worry, I don't condone the ill effects of smoking. I hate people smoking just as much you do!
I will leave you with a Bill Hicks quote:
"If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then take all of your records, tapes and C.D.s and burn them."